January 1, 2014

Beginnings: 2014.

This new year's eve was spent on top of a mountain in St. George, listening to music around a glowing fire with the best company. At midnight we joined in with the echoing countdowns from eager people on nearby streets, and shared in a long moment when fireworks exploded all over the valley. It was better than any party.

Ever since I started posting my new year's resolutions on my blog, I've gotten exponentially better at keeping them. It's incredible and you should all try it. Or, if you don't have a blog, just write them on your arm every morning or something (free tattoo). I recently learned that to really round out your life you should set goals in four categories: mind, body, spirit, and personal. Consider it done.

Mind
• Work on keeping my knowledge of French intact by watching one French movie a month and reading something in French at least once a week. Speak French (or French/Creole...) with someone twice a month for at least 20 minutes.
• Lower stress, produce creativity, and increase knowledge by practicing the guitar at least twice a month for at least 30 minutes.

Body
• Increase physical strength by working out 5-6 times a week for at least 15 minutes. This can include strength training, running, yoga, biking, swimming, hiking, or any other strenuous physical activity.
• Improve overall well-being by drinking lots of water, eating well, and getting enough sleep. Carry a water bottle everywhere possible and plan out meals the day before. Don't skip meals and get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

Spirit
• Study the scriptures for 10-15 minutes every day. Set aside time to do this and be present during these few minutes.
• Visit the temple at least 6 times this year.
• Spend at least 5 minutes a week in meditation in order to let go of stress and be grateful.

Personal
• Become more present by leaving my cell phone in my bag and on silent in social situations such as parties, group conversations or one-on-one conversations, and church or school whenever possible. When I get the urge to pull my phone out (or distract myself any other way) because I feel uncomfortable or awkward, resist that urge.
• Celebrate small victories such as getting a good grade on an assignment, submitting applications, getting a to-do list done, or making it through the day. A celebration can be a private dance party, making a sparkling cider toast to myself, finding someone to high-five, or anything else that makes me happy. Do this at least once a week.

Let's do this, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment