September 22, 2012

A glorious reappearance.

Remember back in the days of France when I basically survived off of crepes? Well, let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, a few months ago, about the time I returned from France, I had dreams of owning a crepe maker. So I got myself two jobs and slaved away all summer in the heat in order to earn money to make my dream come true. My hard work eventually paid off, and a few weeks ago I bought something that looks like this:


Let's be honest, I didn't know what I was going to do with it. I don't know how to make cereal, let alone crepes. But I was determined to figure it out!

So, over the past few weeks, I began to accumulate the ingredients I would need. First milk and water, then salt, then eggs and butter, and finally, flour. They sat on the shelves of my pantry (except the milk, eggs, and butter, which sat on the shelves of my refrigerator) waiting for the day that I had time to cook something other than Easy Mac.

Thursday night, the time came to attempt to make crepes.

There's nowhere to keep my beloved crepe maker other than on top of our cabinets, so it began like this:


My first crepe was a fail because the crepe maker was on the highest setting which is obviously not where it should have been. The second crepe was a fail only because the recipe was not expecting me to be using a professional crepe maker and clearly underestimated my skills. Luckily, I corrected both these issues myself and finally created this masterpiece:


I know this is not the dainty, rolled crepe with chocolate drizzled on top that you're used to seeing at wedding receptions. No. This is the real deal: loaded with warm Nutella and a whole banana, folded in thirds like it should be. And it was amazing.

Basically, the first time making crepes was a huge success. I have dearly missed eating these while walking the narrow streets of the Parisian Latin District, or beneath the lights of the many Montparnasse theatres, or sitting by the Eiffel Tower. One day I will return to France, but until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment