November 11, 2013

On fire.

I have so much to do.

Two jobs, eight essays, two books, one project, two events, three tour hours, three grad school applications, two tests: one girl named Shannon. And that is just all I know of so far this month.

At work this past week we had a meeting about burnout and how to avoid it. Contrary to stress, which is mostly physical and involves trying to do too many things in a short amount of time, burnout is mostly emotional, more gradual, and involves not wanting to do any of the things you need to do. I'm not one to get stressed or burned out very easily, but I just wanted to share some of the ways I prevent it... for the rest of you who are in the same boat out there on the rough seas.

1. Exercise. I talk about this all the time but honestly I don't think there is any better way to combat stress and burnout. A lot of people think they don't have time to fit in a workout when they have mountains of homework and classes and meetings, but it doesn't even have to be long! You can find a million 15 minute workouts on YouTube or even get a free app like Nike Training Club that will guide you right through short exercises that can be as simple as stretching. I'm one of those weirdos in the library that always gets up to stretch because just moving your body for five minutes helps you focus better for the other 55 minutes of the hour. Plus, it keeps you healthier which makes it even easier to study!


2. Eat right. You have to fuel your body to be able to get everything done without becoming sleepy and lethargic. And that doesn't mean drinking two bottles of Coca-cola and eating a granola bar. It means taking time out of your day to prepare yourself an actual meal that will make you feel good. Just like exercising, this doesn't have to take a long time either. There are plenty of things you can make quickly that will end up making a huge difference in how you feel and perform. Here's a recipe I got from the Biggest Loser that is amazingly good - and good for you! Even though it sounds like it would be weird.

     1 sweet potato
     4 ounces ground turkey
     1/3 cup fresh salsa
     2 tablespoons jarred green salsa
     2 tablespoons fat free Greek yogurt

Poke the potato on all sides with a fork and microwave it for 6 minutes, 3 minutes on each side. (May need to be longer depending on the size of the potato.) Meanwhile, cook the turkey over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until it is brown on all sides, breaking it into bite-size chunks as you do this. Then, cut open the potato and load it with the fresh salsa, then the turkey, and then the green salsa. Top with the yogurt and enjoy!


3. Get enough sleep. I know that when I don't get enough sleep, not only am I cranky but I'm also super unmotivated. All I want to do is go back to bed. However, I have found that if I make myself get eight hours of sleep every night even if my homework isn't all the way done when I go to bed, I always have the energy and drive to get it done the next morning, plus I do a way better job on it than I would in the middle of the night. Sometimes when you're stressed it can be difficult to get to sleep, but there are lots of apps that will play soothing sounds for you to get your mind off of things. Or, try this website and add music in the background as well. It's so nice.


4. Budget. Money can be a huge stressor when you have to pay tuition, rent, car payments, gas money, feed yourself, and maybe have a little fun every now and then. Studies have shown that people who budget their money are happier, and probably less stressed as well! I'm all about apps today but there is this awesome one I found called Mint. Now that I can see where my money is going and plan how much I'm going to spend and save, life is so much less daunting.


5. Breathe. Just remember, you'll end up getting everything done, and even if you don't, life will go on. I find it helpful when times get tough to spend a few minutes breathing, stretching, or meditating. The best thing ever to do is look up a guided meditation on YouTube. You feel amazing after and they don't even have to be long. Plus, it can put you right to sleep if you have too much on your mind. Here is a short one and here is a longer, but good one.


Stress and burnout are real things that are definitely affecting me, and I'm sure it's the same for a lot of you right now. But I know that by taking care of yourself you can make it through... and even make life a little easier in the process!

We'll make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment