April 23, 2012

Kinds of adventures.

Well, a few things have happened since I last thought about the events of my life. I know you all are chomping at the bit, dying to know what I've been up to. Not really. But I'm going to tell you anyway, since I haven't said much since Colorfest.

A few weeks ago, Tyler and I decided to take advantage of the fact that all our high school friends were in St. George for spring break, so we made a trip south for a mini spring break of our own. We met up with Katey, Janessa, and Andrea for some caving/glow sticking adventures, Panda Express adventures, freezing cold swimming pool adventures, and Iceberg adventures. Basically a much needed vacation to warmer weather and old friends!

Two weekends ago, I had the pleasure of embarking on a different kind of adventure when I planted myself in the passenger seat of a minivan for ten hours and eventually arrived in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I did this off-the-wall, amazing project last semester for my geology class about natural disasters and the media, and everyone in Cedar City was so blown away that they sent me to the Western Regional Honors Conference to try to hold my own against all the real honors kids this side of the Mississippi. I learned many things during the three days I was there, which include but are not limited to:
  • Harry Potter can be related to anything in life.
  • Native American dancers and mariachi bands can both perform at the same dinner.
  • Mexican food can be good, but not for every meal.
  • Five page papers can be written on a Friday night.
  • Hot tubs can be too hot.
  • I definitely should not be in honors.
Not only was I completely lost during all the Harry Potter conversations (which in itself probably gets me kicked out of the club), I didn't even understand the titles of most of the posters besides mine. Although I did go to both a Star Trek presentation and a zombie presentation and they were pretty much the best things ever. So maybe that's enough to keep me hanging on in the honors crowd, until I get around to reading HP again.

Last but definitely not least, Tyler got his mission call this weekend! Scotland/Ireland, Chinese speaking! Which I still can't quite wrap my mind around... But I could not be more excited for this boy! He is going to be such an amazing missionary.

Also, I have been slacking on my picture taking and I don't have a single photo of a single one of these events. I did take this picture of the sunset today though, so you can look at it if you want.


PS. The countdown to France is at 12 days. I'm freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment